[cups.general] Re: pstops - patched version anywhere?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jun 29 06:06:31 PDT 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Jun 29 02:58 Helmut Jarausch wrote (shortened):
> > Helge Blischke wrote
> > > A couple of weeks ago I offered to fix these psutils issues
> > Yes, please!
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to add missing features to the CUPS
> filter "pstops" to get one full-featured PostScript conversion tool
> than maintaining two different kind of PostScript conversion tools?
>
> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

I think it's up to Michael Sweet to answer *this* question.

On the other hand, the psutils are a well known and fairly stable
set of tools, and stuffing all you can do with these tools (especially
when used in combinations) into one single CUPS filter would surely be
quite a task. And surely it is quite usuful to have such a toolbox
independent of a spooling system.

In my opinion, making the psutils tools DSC compliant and (presumably)
adding a command line option for expliccite CUPS compatibility (as for
issuing setpagedevice commands etc.) would make sense.

Without giving any promises which I might be sued upon, I'll see how far
I can get with these issues during the summer holiday period, which has just
begun here.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke