[cups.general] Display username on printer lcd panel

Lars Anderson lsa at business.aau.dk
Wed Jun 29 06:35:18 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:42:58, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Lars Anderson wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:37:53, Helge Blischke wrote:
> >
> >Hi,
> >

> >>The pstops filter emits a JCL statement like
> >>	@PJL JOBNAME = ... DISPLAY = id user title
> >>where id is the job-ID, user the job-originating-user-name and title the
> >>job-name.
> >

> >First, as far as I can tell the code for this in emit.c is only executed
> >if the JCLBegin line in the PPD for the printer contains \033%-12345X@
> >Second, most of the PPD's for my HP printers have nothing in this line.
> >Putting it in has no effect, my HP printers ignore the JOB DISPLAY
> >command.
> >

> >>If that isn't sufficient, you'd hack the sources (cups/emit.c in the
> >>source tree)
> >>or file a RFE (request for enhancements) hoping that your request finds
> >>the way
> >>into CUPS 1.2
> >

> >Hacking emit.c to put in the RDYMSG DISPLAY command works, but is
> >kinda ugly since it just replaces the normal READY message and
> >therefore stays on the display until the next job.
> >
> >Does anyone have the normal JOB DISPLAY command working on a HP printer?
>
> All of our HP LaserJet's (with LCDs, anyways) support it, and even
> some of the Business Inkjets support it.  None of the DesignJets
> support it, however...

Ahh yes, I see it now :-) Tried it on an old Laserjet 4000 and it works
perfectly.
The first printers I tested it with was a Laserjet 4350 and a
ColorLaserjet 5550. Here the info is on the display for a second or 2
(depending on the size of the job) and the rest of the time the display
prints "PROCESSING JOB FROM TRAY 3" or something similar.

I still wonder why most of the PPD's for the HP printers has an empty
JCLBegin string?

> I have considered changing to using RDYMSG and then adding another
> RDYMSG for the end-of-job code, however that could still leave the
> last message displayed if there is a problem with the job...

For some uses it would be nice to have a message stating "Job finished
for user blabla" or something like that staying on the display after
the job is finished.

Regards
Lars