PDF problems

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Jun 1 04:32:17 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:

> hey all, we are currently running a windows/linux printing environment here at work using samba + cups and everything is running smoothly but I do have one outstanding issue. It seems that neither pdf applications run under windows or linux are able to print 2 or more copies of a document at one time. This is indeed strange because every other type of application is capable of doing this task. In linux we tested this with evince and gpdf, and in Windows with Acrobat Professional. When we tested printing two or more copies using lp or lpr from linux everything worked according to plan. I've checked all the samba and cups logs, and there is nothing unusual, and I haven't been able to find anyone else having this problem (or at least documenting it). I'm thinking that this is a bug but is there anything else I could check to further research this problem?

The issue is probably due to an incompatibility of the Windows printer
driver (I mean the DLL, not the PPD)
and how Acrobat or Reader manage their "pass-through" PostScript (as
they don't print through the
WIndows GDI). As a result, the DSC conformance is violated. This in turn
leads to the PS job getting
garbled by CUPS' pstops filter at the end of the 1st copy - except for
printers that can produce
collated copies by themselves AND CUPS knows of this.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung