[cups.development] reject a printjob before accepting it

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jun 1 14:36:11 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:56:40PM +0200, Daniel Willmann wrote:

> I'm currently working on reorganizing the printing system of our
> University and I have a few questions on how I should do things.
>
> We would like to be able to reject jobs when cups recieves them based on
> accounting data. This way the user will know that his account is
> unbalanced and can react right away.
> I thought of calling a function in IsAuthorized() which connects to some
> sort of authentication server and sends username, password and IP
> Address.
> This server then checks if the user is allowed to print and cups either
> carries on or rejects the job (maybe with a 402 Payment Required?).
>
> I would like this to be included in mainstream cups at some point in the
> future so please let me know if there are any showstoppers or if there
> is a better way to do this.

<shameless plug="on">
  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation
  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Features
</shameless>

This is not as integrated into CUPS as you would like, because it
can't make CUPS return a specific error code, however it can be
configured to warn the user immediately, before the job being
accepted or rejected.

By the default the user receives an email message, but PyKota
includes a sample script which both sends the message by email and
into a popup Window on Windows boxes. You can use any script you
want of course.

bye

Jerome Alet