[cups.bugs] NEC Silentwriter2 S60P does not print with cups

Alexander Fieroch Fieroch at web.de
Fri Jun 3 05:35:32 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've got the NEC Silentwriter2 S60P laser printer using postscript mode.
I've configured cups (1.1.23) with gnome-cups-manager and added the
"Silentwriter2 S60P" driver from the manufacturer NEC. The driver is set
to postscript as well as the printer. The printer is connected by the
"Parallel Port #1".
When I print a test page with gnome-cups-manager the display of the
printer shows "PROCESSING" for some seconds, than "WAITING" and finally
"READY" but nothing was printed.

On the console I get following message:

Selected ppd file =
foomatic-ppds/NEC/NEC-Silentwriter2_S60P-Postscript.ppd.gz

** (gnome-cups-manager:22789): WARNING **: connect = 'parallel:/dev/lp0'

Printing a test page with the menu of the printer does work and the test
page is printed as it should be.

Setting the printer to emulate "HP LaserJet 2P" mode and using the HP
"LaserJet IIP series" driver prints an endless set of papers with only
some special chars on each page.

linuxprinting.org sais the printer works perfectly with the postscript
driver:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=NEC-Silentwriter2_S60P

So what's wrong?

Testing printing with BSD lpr as "HP LaserJet 2P" does work. So is it a
bug in cups?

Regards,
Alexander

PS: I'm using debian linux 64bit (SID) with kernel 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp.