espgs8.15rc3: rangecheck in setpagedevice with custom PPD

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Jun 3 10:27:08 PDT 2005

Brion Finlay wrote:
> preliminary question: Are these versions of CUPS and ghostscript
> compatible? Should I use these versions together, or should I try
> to upgrade cups to a later version?  I couldn't find any information on
> cups.org about version compatibilities.

Any version of ESP Ghostscript is compatible with all versions of
CUPS >= 1.1.11, which is when the "cups-config" script was added.

> Main issue:
> It seems like ghostscript 8.15rc3 is not using the pagesize information
> from
> my PPD files correctly.  In my PPD, I redefine the letter pagesize
> to 312x425 with HW resolution 203x203.  Looking at the log, the
> pagesize 312x425 shows up on the initial line for the job, but the
> pagesize is redefined later as 612x792.  After setup, cups tries
> to set the pagesize to 312x425, but this results in a "rangecheck in
> setpagedevice" error.

Are you sure the rangecheck happens because of the page size?

You should be able to just run gs with those options and enter the
following PS commands to trigger the error if so:

     << /PageSize [ 312 425 ] >> setpagedevice

If that doesn't trigger the error, then the problem lies in one of
the other commands...