[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1200: 99% CPU use when converting from

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jun 16 07:37:46 PDT 2005

toni wrote:

> [STR New]
>
> I convert documents from PostScript to tiffg3 for sending by fax. Usually
> it works ok but if I generate it from OpenOffice for Windows the gs
> process seems to hang, it uses 99% CPU for several minutes. I generate it
> printing to a Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS "printer".
>
> This is the version I use (the one shipped with Mandriva LE 2005):
> ESP Ghostscript 815.00 (2005-04-20)
> 8.15.0
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1200
> Version: 8.15-current

Sounds strange. What system is y<our gs running on? I recently converted
a bunch of PS pages (generated from PDF by xpdf's pdftops, containing a bunch of
type42 fonts and a logo on each page besides the text) to TIFF (tiffg4 in this case)
using gs 7.00 on a sparc5 running SunOS 4.1.4, and the speed was roughly 50 to 60
pages per minute.

Perhaps you could post (an URL to) a sample file.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung