cupsd prevents disc spin-down

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Jun 26 18:24:41 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> It's obvious now, but I really think it is still inappropriate to
> have such a dynamic file living in the /etc path. I think it really
> belongs in /var. I do care about security as well as wasted power so

That's a good point, and I agree that the cert files should really
be in /var (probably /var/run/cups/certs) since they are only used
while the scheduler is running.

> I haven't read the developers documentation so I can only speculate
> that there is no need for this to be written in the normal file
> system at all since it is so small and transient.

Well, /var is just as much a "normal filesystem" as any other place...

Anyways, I've filed this as STR #1211, and we'll move the location
of certificates in CUPS 1.2.