[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1215: All PPD Text not being included in

Brian supertoad at toadpond.com
Thu Jun 30 05:39:48 PDT 2005

[STR New]

In the file "ppd.c", function "ppd_read()", the variable "line" is limited
to 64Kb.  In our environment, we use the PPD to include large chunks of
PostScript into an output file to handle color management.  Our inclusion
code sometimes reaches 140Kb.  This code contains entire Color Rendering
Dictionaries (basically 11x11x11x11 hex arrays) based upon choices made
when printing the job.

We are currently moving from Mac OS-9 to OS-X, and will be converting over
1000 machines.  We could modify the code, ourselves, and in fact I have
modified the code and successfully tested it on my own OS-X machine.
Unfortunately, we are not in charge of building and/or distributing the
final setup CD's for OS-X in our company.  By modifying the code ourselves
and having it placed on the install CD's, we would be forced to modify the
CUPS software every time we upgrade OS-X versions.

We would like to have the CUPS software ppd-handling routine modified to
either have the "line" array enlarged, or as I have tested: to make it
dynamic and increase the allocation as needed -- starting with the default
allocation of 64Kb.

I will gladly send my modified version of ppd.c if requested.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1215
Version: 1.1.23