No Devices to select from when adding a printer

Angus Mackenzie anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Mar 1 11:05:18 PST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to add a printer via the CUPS web interface.  On the second screen (after entering the printer name/location/description), there is a screen that says Device for HP_1350, with a combo box to choose the device.  On this particular computer, the combo box has no entries.  I have the same setup (as near as I can tell) on another computer, and this screen shows a list of items such as :
> Internet Printing Protocal (http)
> Internet Printing Protocal (ipp)
> LPD/LPR Host or Printer
> Serial Port # (many of these)
> USB Printer # (many of these).
>
> Anyone have any ideas why these options would not be available?
>
> Thanks,

I have had a similar problem which is associated with the backends (in /usr/lib/cups/backend/) losing their execute permissions from time to time. If you haven't had any success yet you could try;

ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend/

and see if the files listed have an x at the end of the -rwx-xr-x lines

I have posted a couple of enquiries about the problem but haven't had a response. I can write a script to enforce execute permissions but I'm puzzled about why it happens.

AAM