access_log writes entry every 5 seconds

Bruce McEachern brucem at ccst.us
Tue Mar 1 14:26:21 PST 2005

First, Mike, thanks for the quick answer. To the points raised:

Michael Sweet,wrote:
> Bruce McEachern wrote:
> > To all (paticularly EasyS/W):
> >
> > Why doesn't anybody have a reply for dushik?!? His post has
> > been up a long time. I have the same question, but a lot
>
> This is a volunteer forum.  If you want a guaranteed answer,
> pay for it.

I wasn't demanding an answer, sorry it sounded that way. Was
just wondering why such a straightforward item had gone
unanswered. I understand, everyone's busy (me, too <g>)

> That said...
>
> > bettere idea of why this is happening: The access_log is
> > accumulating the KeepAlive "ping"'s from the CUPS control
> > s/w. While, technically, this _is_ an "access," I am certain
>
> None of the standard CUPS software polls at 5-second intervals.
> What you are probably seeing is a GUI which is polling with
> no way to disable that behavior.

Yes, in my (referenced) case--and probably dushik's, too--the
cause is almost certainly the MacOSX pumping the server. But,
that said, I took a look at things on my ThinkPad G40 here with
the gnome-print-manager (FC2-updated: kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2,
cups-1.1.20-11.11, libgnomecups-0.1.6-7) _it_ hammers away
with the same probe (no 5-sec interval, almost continuously:
10-20/sec).

> > I'm admin'g a MacOSX server and this is PITA! The client
> > sure to soon ask for some fine-grained control over the
> > printer access: will I have to tell them to dump CUPS?
>
> There is no way to control which requests are logged in the
> access_log file - you can either log everything or nothing.
> If you would like to see this functionality, file an
> enhancement request on the following page:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php

I will, but first I want to get a filter (I'm thinking FIFO
with a perl filter, daemonized) in place for my client. I'll
push anything I come up with your way.

> --
> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

Thanks again,