[cups.general] All jobs cancelled and still printing junk

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Wed Mar 2 09:49:57 PST 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:

>Cancel doesn't kill the backend process in any case.
>In this case you must kill the backend process manually.
>Use for example
>  fuser -v /dev/lp0
>to list which processes are accessing the parallel port
>and/or use
>  fuser -k /dev/lp0
>to kill the processes which are accessing the parallel port.
>
>I don't know why cancel doesn't kill the backend process in any case.
>
>Regards
>Johannes Meixner

I am seeing exactly the same thing in cups 1.1.19 Fedora Core 1.  What
good is being able to cancel a print job if it does not cancel the print
job.  I tried substituting the foomatic-rip and serial backend from FC3
but still have the problem.

I notice that the backend process is ignoring SIGTERM.  i.e. "kill
procid" will not kill it.  "kill -1 procid" will.

I really need a better solution for my users than dropping to a command
line, finding the process and killing it with a signal 1.  That's kind
of embarrassing.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Steve