[cups.general] Automatic driver downloads to Windows clients?

Thomas Boutell boutell at boutell.com
Thu Mar 3 08:29:35 PST 2005

Hello,

There are hints in Microsoft's web pages that a Microsoft Windows XP
client talking to a Microsoft Windows server that offers
"Windows Internet Printing" (Microsoft's implementation of IPP)
can download Windows drivers automatically. And of course I know from
experience that one can connect Windows XP to a CUPS-based IPP server
and print successfully. But I don't see any mention that CUPS supports
delivering Windows drivers automatically in the way Windows expects
(i.e. presumably not CUPS-get-ppd).

So just to be clear, it doesn't... right? And this is still a reason to
choose Samba+CUPS=SMB instead of IPP, then, assuming of course that one
can actually get the dratted driver download share stuff to work?

* * *

Off topic, but if anyone out there has succeeded with
that Samba [print$] share stuff, I'd love to talk to you. In my case
driver uploads work perfectly but downloads just don't even try to happen!

* * *

Thank you.

--
Thomas Boutell