problem with printing to an HP CP1700

cups-troubleshooting at pdscc.com cups-troubleshooting at pdscc.com
Thu Mar 3 12:22:38 PST 2005

Okay, have a MDK10.1 server machine using cups 1.1.21. The printer, an HP CP1700 inkjet is hooked to the server via usb cable. Dmesg shows the printer as deteced and cups admin webpage shows

Device URI: usb://HP/Color%20Inkjet%20CP1700?serial=SG2AN511D90T

I also have an HP Laserjet 2100 (with jetdirect) on the network and shared via cups and it works fine for printing from both windows clients (samba w/point & print) or from the cups admin page.

With the CP1700, I can submit a job from a windows client on the network
or print a test page from within the cups admin page, and the end result
is all of nothing, no beeps, boops or any activity by the cp1700. I've
turned up logging to debug, and from what I can see the job gets processed by cups and sent to the printer.  Excerpt from log with cat
/var/log/cups/error_log | grep 21 to display stuff from job 21. Anyone see anything obviously wrong here, I've been googling for the past couple hours without success.

The conf file is here:

http://www.pdscc.com/troubleshooting/cupsd.conf

As is the default except to allow access to the admin pages from other
machines.

The logfile is here:

http://www.pdscc.com/troubleshooting/cupslog.txt

and if you look at job's 20 and 21 near the end, you'll see what happens
when I print to the lj2100 (job 20) and the cp1700 (job 21). The early
failures in the logs are because I'd forgotten to install the hpijs
package. I have hpijs 1.7.1 installed from tarball.

In the job log in the web interface cups shows:

HP_CP1700-21   	Test Page   	root   	26k   	 completed at
Thu 03 Mar 2005 11:25:59 AM PST

Anyone have an idea what's wrong? I'm kinda tearing my hair out.