options problems

RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Mar 5 00:04:47 PST 2005

I was having trouble printing envelopes, and it turned out the problem was that my printer was defaulting to duplex.

I didn't realize this for two reasons.  First, the web interface showed Duplex was off.  I've just realized I had different options set as the user from which I submitted the print job.

The second problem is that the user manual (CUPS-SUM-1.1.23) seemed to imply that seemed to imply that "standard options" for duplex of
lp -o sides=one-sided
would turn of duplex.  It didn't.

When I used -o Duplex=None (based on looking at my printers ppd file) it did turn off duplex, and the printing worked.

Is my interpretation that the "standard options" don't necessarily work correct?  The manual says
    The available printer options vary depending on the printer.
    The standard options are described in Chapter 3, "Standard
     Printing Options".
My original interpretation of this was that the standard options always worked.

If my original interpretation is correct, something is still wrong.  If my new interpretation is correct, I suggest clarifying the documentation would be useful.

I also think the docs (even the man for lpoptions) could be a little clearer a little earlier about the distinction between user and system-wide options.  The information is there now, but it's a little buried and indirect.

I was using a Brother HL5150D with vendor supplied PPD file.