capturing output to printer

RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Mar 5 00:10:27 PST 2005

During my recent printer problems I wondered if CUPS rewriting of my inputs (which were ps files going to a ps printer) might account for some of the problems.  Though I managed to fix the problem, I'm still curious if there is a way to capture the material that's actually shipped to the printer.

I see some options about debugging and preserving jobs in the documentation, but it doesn't look as if any does exactly what I'm looking for.  (debugging, I assume, captures related information but not the job stream; I expect the jobs preserved are the ones as submitted by me, before final processing).

Is there a way to get the output exactly as it goes to the printer?  (By this I don't mean that I want to capture the back and and forth of the communications protocol--just the postscript before it's sent).

I'm printing postscript files to a postscript printer, which may make this somewhat simpler than the general case.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan