options problems

RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Mar 6 11:01:02 PST 2005

> RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> >
> > I was having trouble printing envelopes, and it turned out the problem was that my printer was defaulting to duplex.
> >
> > I didn't realize this for two reasons.  First, the web interface showed Duplex was off.  I've just realized I had different options set as the user from which I submitted the print job.
> >
> > The second problem is that the user manual (CUPS-SUM-1.1.23) seemed to imply that the "standard options" for duplex of
> > lp -o sides=one-sided
> > would turn off duplex.  It didn't.
[corrected a few typos above--RB]

> > When I used -o Duplex=None (based on looking at my printers ppd file) it did turn off duplex, and the printing worked.
> >
> > Is my interpretation that the "standard options" don't necessarily work correct?  The manual says
> >     The available printer options vary depending on the printer.
> >     The standard options are described in Chapter 3, "Standard
> >      Printing Options".
> > My original interpretation of this was that the standard options always worked.
> >
> > If my original interpretation is correct, something is still wrong.  If my new interpretation is correct, I suggest clarifying the documentation would be useful.
> >
> > I also think the docs (even the man for lpoptions) could be a little clearer a little earlier about the distinction between user and system-wide options.  The information is there now, but it's a little buried and indirect.
> >
> > I was using a Brother HL5150D with vendor supplied PPD file.
>
> If you hit the "configure printer" button in the web interface, what
> does
> is show with respect to Duplex printing?
>
> Helge

It shows, under the section labelled "General" an option named "Duplex".  It has a drop-down currently on "None".  Other available values are "DuplexNoTumble" and "DuplexTumble".  These correspond to the options in my ppd file.

When I said in my original message that the web interface showed duplex was off, the "configure printer" interface was the one I meant.  The web interface is logged into CUPS as root.

Is there such a thing as a CUPS-compliant PPD?  I guess that if the PPD file used that "standard" CUPS names then everything would have worked as the CUPS documents say.

By the way, I'm on Debian GNU/Linux with cupsys 1.1.23-4.

Ross