[cups.general] Advertising printers on ipp://hostname/ipp/queue

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Sun Mar 6 15:37:40 PST 2005

Ryan Suarez wrote:
> Greetings Admins,
>
> I am trying to print from a macosx 10.3.x cups client to a macosx 10.3.x
> cups server.
>
> The correct uri to print to the server is
> 'ipp://hostname/printers/queue'.  However, adding printers using the osx
> print center utility creates the uri as 'ipp://hostname/ipp/queue'.
>
> I've googled around and the suggestions were using the cups web admin
> interface on the client, or adding the printers via command line.
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040101194202284
>
> Our users are non-technical so I would like to avoid this.  Is there a
> way to advertise the printers on '/ipp/queue' on the server instead of
> '/printers/queue'?
>
> regards,
> Ryan

I have network broadcasting working at work and at home, and my OS X
always sees the correct printer list. So not only is it possible, but it
works :)

Getting it working, though, is an ... interesting ... task.
I *think* these are the only options you need:

Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseAddress 10.146.255.255
BrowseInterval 30
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowsePort 631

You'll obviously have to have the BrowseAddress to a broadcast address
on your network.

After this, all CUPS clients that have Browsing On should be able to see
the server's printers.

Good luck!

Dan