Files are sent raw to my printer! Help!!

Yourself grad0771no at spam.di.uoa.gr
Mon Mar 7 06:02:16 PST 2005

Hello.

I'm having the following weird (for me) problem. If I try to print a
(postscript) file, all I get on paper is this:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
               %%Creator: dvips(k) 5.86 Copyright 1999 Radical Eye Software

If i view the error-log i can clearly see this about the print-job

D [06/Mar/2005:21:22:33 +0200] print_job: request file type is
application/vnd.cups-raw.

Which is why instead of seeing the postscript on paper, i see plain text.

The command I'm using is: lpr -Php930 [file]

If I use cupsdoprint, the everything prints fine, and error_log clearly
says: D [06/Mar/2005:21:40:39 +0200] print_job: request file type is
application/postscript.

The thing is that because of the mess with the "proper" lpr command, all my
printing in KDE fails.

Why am I seing this? What is wrong here and lpr printing can't determine the
file type? This has happened suddenly for no aparent (to me, of course)
reason.

What should I check? I'm lost.

My system:
Gentoo -unstable
CUPS: 1.1.23  (Gentoo's ebuild, r1)
Ghostscript: 7.07.1 (Gentoo's ebuild, r8)
HPIJS: 1.7.1 (for my HP 930 Deskjet printer)

--
yourself

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck is the day they make a
vacuum cleaner