cupsd Retry limit ?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Mar 8 05:33:48 PST 2005

We are in the process of releasing a service based on Windows ipp client and Cups and have ran into a major snag.
Our setup uses pam to auth to a central kerberos server.
Consider the following events:
User installs Windows ipp client to print to our cups server. User has to be authorized and authenticated. All is well.
At some point in time user changes password on central kerberos server.
Later they attempt to print to cups server and windows presents error.
Windows in effort to be helpful submits username and password multiple times and user ends up tripping security threshold on central kerberos server and is locked out of all services on campus that use kerberos server. Very Bad ...

Is there a config in cupsd.conf that would limit consecutive retries from a client?
Anyone else run into this?

Thanks
Steve Devine sdevine<nospam>msu.edu
Michigan State University