CUPS: no accounting on the w2k server (and that's bad!)

giacomo boffi giacomo.boffi at polimi.it
Wed Mar 9 06:13:02 PST 2005

Helge Blischke <h.blischke at srz.de> writes:

> giacomo boffi wrote:
>>
>> i'd like to print on a printer connected to a w2k server, where i have
>> an account, and all is well using CUPS and a smb://blabla url...
                   ^/^/^/^/^/^
>> what's my problem then?
>>
>> well, the accounting records on the server have that all my print jobs
>> are 0 (zero) page long, like this

01/03/2005,19.51.40,Print,Informazioni,Nessuno,10,xxxxx01\boffi,xxxxx,"Il
documento 18, Documento remoto a bassa priorita appartenente a boffi e
stato stampante su Xerox Document Centre 470 PS attraverso la porta
IP_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Dimensione: 1879231 byte; numero pagine stampate: 0. "
......................................................................^^

> How is the page accounting done?

  the accounting is (should be) done on the w2k server, honest i don't
  know how that's implemented, but windows client's jobs generate an
  accounting record that reports the number of pages printed

  my CUPS setup (done using gnome-cups-manager) is as follows:

  - using the Xerox PPD for the Document Centre 490/480/470/460 model

  - the "Accounting" box in the "Advanced" tab of gnome-cups-manager
    is checked, but i think that would be ok only if my CUPS could
    talk directly with the printer, that's not being the case as the
    printer is on a private subnet

> Perhaps you could post (an URL to) both a file that works and one
> that doesn't. Maybe from the differences I could suggest a
> workaround.

  i'm sorry but that's impossible... if i print *any* postcript file
  from my workstation, the w2k server prints the file, but reports 0
  pages printed, while i do need that my jobs are regularly accounted
  on the w2k server

thank you for your attention,
ciao
                                                        gb
--
Sarebbe essere un atto di pieta'.
Contro i miei principi.                            -- whip,  in IFMdI