Multiple printers + Windows XP

jools at technojunkie.demon.co.uk jools at technojunkie.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 06:46:18 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have a Mandrake 10.1 server running cups and am referenceing two printers from it 1, a networked Epson Acculaser C2000 and 2, a local (lpt1) connected HP Deskjet 710C.

I have the CUPS drivers installed using cupssmbadd and both the HP and Epson drivers appear in the drivers folder on the server. The problem I have is that when you click on the Epson icon on the print server (Via My Network Places on WinXP) it installs the Acculaser driver and works fine but when you click on the 710C icon it goes through the motions of installing the drivers, offers you the chance to print a test page but then bums out complaining that the port does not exist.

The port in the XP printer control panel shows as Samba AC2000,HPDeskjet710C on both printers i.e. both printers print through the same port. Is this correct?

If you need config files etc., please let me know what you require and I'll post it.

Thanks,

Jools