CUPS Printer Manager+LPD+400 printers = Slow

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Mar 9 13:09:21 PST 2005

Hi All,
I am running a setup using cups to route print jobs to around 400+ lpd print servers. No actual printers is connected to the box. So the role of cups is merely to send data to the print servers. Typically during a day we have 10-15K print jobs numbering 9000. The performance is very very slow. Do any of you have a setup with at least 400 print queues ? I have seen Berkeley lpd implementations having 2000+ print queues, but I am unable to understand why cups is slow.
As an e.g lpstat -a<queuename> takes anywhere from 26 seconds to 5 minutes. Even normal things like lprm is slow.
Any ideas?

Thanks In Advance
-Zameer Ahmed