need help installing for Samsung ML-1710

wizumwalt at gmail.com wizumwalt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:45:36 PST 2005

Hey all,

I've just installed CUPS on my gentoo box and I'm trying to follow along in the instructions for a Samsung ML-1710 from linuxprinting.org.

I downloaded the PPD and placed it in /usr/share/cups/model as the gentoo docs said. I also downloaded Samsung-SmartGDI-all-GS.tar.gz from http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printing/samsung-gdi/ ... but I'm not sure what do to with it. If I do a ps -h to see what drivers are in my postscript, gdi is listed. I also have the cupsd running.

My problem is that when I go to configure a new printer in http://localhost:631, I don't have a Samsung printer to choose from in the vendor list. So I just choose raw and when I test a page, the printer warms up, but no test page is printed.

Any help or guidance much appreciated.