Interesting linefeed problems

Brennon Church bchurch at orionmulti.com
Thu Mar 10 15:13:04 PST 2005

I have a cups/samba setup that I'm using to serve printers to Windows
and Linux clients.  I've found that I get an extra page and a postscript
error whenever anyone prints from the Windows systems through cups/samba
to one of my printers.  After dumping the jobs out to file and comparing
everything, it's come down to an issue with newline termination of the
postscript file that's getting sent to the printer.  If the file has a
newline character at the end (after the end of transmission ^D character
at the end of the postscript data), then the file will print without
error.  If it doesn't, I get a blank page and the following:

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:   userdict

STACK:

This is occurring on a Xerox Phaser 6250DP, and it only happens if I'm
printing through cups from Windows.  Printing directly to the Xerox from
Windows, using the same drivers as through cups/samba, doesn't give the
error.

Additionally, sending the same postscript file without the newline in it
(the inclusion of which causes the error on the Xerox) to my other
printer, an HP LaserJet 5si mx, works fine, without the blank and error
pages.

Has anyone else run across this problem?  I've been searching but
haven't yet found anything that quite matches this.

Thanks.

--Brennon