[cups.general] 'Browsing' problem

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Mar 11 05:15:19 PST 2005

"T. Horsnell (tsh)" wrote:

> cups-1.1.22 on FC3.
>
> Hi all,
> I'm having a problem with the cupsd.conf 'Browsing'
> option. There are many printers on my network, but only
> a few of which I want to use, so I want to suppress
> the presence of the others from the list of available
> printers.
> I assumed I would do this by setting 'Browsing off' in
> cupsd.conf, and manually add the printers I want, at
> boot time or somesuch.
> However, the whole list of printers still appears. What
> does 'Browsing' control? Is it the capability of the host
> to browse other servers, or the willingness of the host
> to be browsed by other servers?
>
> How can I do what I want?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.

The browsing controls, in essence, nothing but advertizing the printers
a CUPS
 server "owns" to all other CUPS servers resp. "looking" at those ads.

Currently there are no means to select subsets on any side. But CUPS 1.2
will provide the concept of "shared printers" which measn that only
shared
printers will be advertized.

Helge

--