building CUPS under AIX 5.3/snprintf

vince.taluskie at cexp.com vince.taluskie at cexp.com
Mon Mar 14 15:51:24 PST 2005

Hello,

Trying to get CUPS to build under AIX 5.3 - trying being the operative word :)

We purchased a license for the native AIX C compiler but don't (yet) have the native C++ compiler.  Most of CUPS compiles fine - but we are running into some issues with the way our AIX development box was configured with the built-in g++ balking on pdftops.cxx because of a definition of snprintf in stdio.h not being seen.  See below:

Compiling pdftops.cxx...
pdftops.cxx: In function `int main(int, char**)':
pdftops.cxx:280: error: `snprintf' undeclared (first use this function)
pdftops.cxx:280: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
   each function it appears in.)

/usr/include/stdio.h contains:

#if (_XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500) || defined(_ISOC99_SOURCE)
extern int  snprintf(char *__restrict__, size_t, const char *__restrict__, ...);
#endif /* _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 */

while /opt/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0/3.3.2/inclu
de/stdio.h contains:

#if (_XOPEN_SOURCE == 500)
extern int  snprintf(char *, size_t, const char *, ...);
#endif /* _XOPEN_SOURCE == 500 */

What are the rest of you AIXers out there doing to build from source?  I just tried setting CXXFLAGS=-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 to no avail...  I think I need another way to get the snprintf() definition to show up to the g++ compiler.

thanks,

Vince