multiple queues pointing to one

Akeru anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Mar 16 01:51:23 PST 2005

Hi eveybody, here is a little problem that puzzles me for quite a while now. I have a main server with 2 printers installed on it, they are physicaly the same but use different options.

So I have "printer" the physical printer, "printer-simplex" and "printer-duplex", the printers configured on the server. For example the duplex looks like lpd://printer/printer. They are simple PS printers while the real printer is connected to the network and run lpd

Now I have multiple clients accessing the printers, so I created two printers on the client machines. For example the simplex one looks like : lpd://server/printer-simplex

Now, here is the question : how can I make the client queues use the server's queue setting for the printing ? Meaning, how can I setup thing so the client queue "duxplex" does not have to be configured with duplex parameters since it uses the server's queue which is.

I tried a RAW printer type in the client with no effect.

The idea behind all this is to have a single point of access to all the printers and a single point of queue configuration (on the server).

Does any one have an idea ?