[cups.general] Large jobs sent to external printserver abort after

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Mar 17 04:47:55 PST 2005

Marius Reiner wrote:

> This probably isn't an issue of CUPS, but maybe someone here has
> experienced similar problems and knows how to deal with it:
>
> There is a CUPS (1.1.21rc1) machine and a hardware printserver (D-Link
> DP-303). All clients are sending their jobs to the CUPS server over IPP.
> Jobs to the DP-303 get forwarded over lpd. Now printing text and small
> graphics works fine, no matter what server the printers are connected
> to. But if I print a photo when the printer is connected to the DP-303,
> the printer starts as usual, then after 1/3 of the page it stops, ejects
> the paper and IIRC continues on a new page.
> When the printer is connected to the parallel port of the CUPS server it
> prints fine.
> We tested this with several versions of CUPS, another hardware
> printserver (can't recall the brand) and two printers (HP DeskJet 5550,
> Epson Stylus Photo 700).
>
> Any hints on what could cause these aborts and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Marius

If the printer in question is the HP printer, you are probably out of
luck.
It is a known issue that long jobs (jobs which need significantly more
time
to render but to transmit to the printer) get disturbed when transmitted
by
the LPD protocol. Use any other (maybe even ftp!) instead.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung