[cups.general] Restricting browsable printers

John Morton jwm at cranenz.co.nz
Thu Mar 17 13:55:50 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 01:57, Helge Blischke wrote:

> > The problem with this model is that 100 branches with an average of four
> > printers each will result in the central cups server sending
> > out a half meg of browse data to each of a hundread servers, each over
> > 256k pipes. Even if it polled and relayed once a night, it would still
> > add up to a lot of traffic.
> >
> > I'd like to be able to configure each of the branch servers to only
> > expose one printer to the central polling server, however it looks as
> > though the browsing code is uninterested in using access control to
> > printers as a means of deciding if some other server should see a given
> > printer at all.

> I guess you will have to wait for CUPS 1.2 and see if the printer
> sharing/export
> directives it will support matches your needs.

I think I'll bite the bullet and manually set up all the invoice
printers on the central server and have it relay out on a daily
interval. The trick there is to have the init script set up so that when
it's restarted manually, it sets up a cron job to restart it again
during a nightly low bandwidth period, so that subsequent relays are
effectively schedualed for that period.

John