Looking for a plain text print script

Lew Pitcher lpitcher at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 18 20:05:36 PST 2005

I'm preparing to move a pseudo-printer from lpd to cups, and I need some advice/direction. My existing lpd pseudo-printer accepts a plain-text print stream, massages the data, and writes an email to an address embedded in the print stream. You'll find this facility documented in my Linux Gazette article titled "Linux Line Printing Daemon for Mainframe Application "Print-to-Email" at http://linuxgazette.net/issue77/pitcher.html

I need to replicate this functionality under cups.

So, can someone direct me to a simple explanation of how I can
a) define a pseudo-printer to cups that
b) does not write to a real printer, and
c) accepts plain text input

It should not have to deal with postscript, either from the source or from CUPS; the source print stream is plain text and the email target should also be plain text - I don't want to email pdf files generated from the plain text.

Any advice?