Force always Duplex printing

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sat Mar 19 06:26:17 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> > > I tried this and it works on most printers here. The exception is the HP 4600dn's. It just gets ignored. I tried to google for an answer but came up empty. Is there some other catch? (I'm using the ppd as linked to by linuxprinting.org, btw.)
> >
> > Post (an URL to) the PPD you used. There are several different ones
> > around, but
> > as far as I can see, there is no reason why it should not work (except
> > the printer
> > has no duplexer installed, of course).
>
> This is the one I used:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/PPD/HP/color_laser/hp_color_LaserJet_4600.ppd
>
> Would a similar trick work for forcing color/grayscale, btw?

The PPD seems OK. Are you really sure the printer HAS a duplex unit?
Print the printer's configuration page(s) or check the configuration
using
the printer's web interface.

Another way to test is the following:
- get and compile the hpnpf utility (see the links on the CUPS web
page).
- edti a PS file like this:
---snip---
%!
currentpagedevice/Duplex known == flush
---snip---
- use the command
	hpnpf -x your_printer_name__or_ip_addr -W the_name_of_the_test_file
The returned information should look like
---snip---
true
token = @PJL USTATUS JOB
token = END
token = NAME="your_computers_name.port_number"
token = PAGES=0
---snip---
if the printer has a duplexer. If not, the first reply line should read
"false".

Helge

--
Helge Blischke