[cups.general] Feature Request - Never stop printers

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Mar 19 20:07:08 PST 2005

Steve Bergman wrote:
> John E.Vincent wrote:
>
>> There have been quite a few posts where people are having issues with
>> printers disabling themselves because of things like socket timeouts
>> or out of paper and what not.
>>
>> Helge has made the recommendation that you could modify the backend
>> you use to always return 0 no matter what. Some of us have written
>> scripts that check every so often and enable any disabled printers.
>>
>> Mike,
>> Is it possible we could get a config option that handles this for us?
>> Something along the lines of a NeverStop or NeverDisable?

As I have posted MANY TIMES already, 1.2 adds a printer error
policy attribute which allows you to control what happens when the
backend returns an error.  The default will be to stop the queue,
but you'll be able to setup a retry interval (a la the current fax
functionality), move the job to an alternate queue, etc.