[cups.general] Re: maximum numbers of printers in cups?

Boelter Markus Markus.Boelter at Micronas.com
Mon Mar 21 00:57:44 PST 2005

Hello!

> There are no preset limits, and we have customers with 10,000+
> printers on a single server (although we wouldn't recommend that
> in general... :)
>
> The main issues will be memory usage, which in 1.1.23 should be
> reasonable for 1100 printers, and tuning the browsing parameters
> to not overwhelm the network (assuming that you are printing from
> clients and using the CUPS browse stuff...)

What are the round-about-numbers for a bigger setup? How many memory should I have for - let's say about 600 Printers? And what about the Timing-Parameters?

We have 600 Printers on 2 Cups-Server - but the setup is not perfect at the moment. Our Network-Admins are seeing too much Broadcasttraffic and the Clients sometimes just don't see the printers for a short time.

Please, can you give me some numbers for Timings on Clients and Server as well as a round-about-value for the memory we should use in the servers? Or at least a "rule" how to calculate the values?

Thanks,
  Markus