Cups and Adobe Acrobat

julianpb at gmail.com julianpb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 06:27:28 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have CUPS running on Mandrake 10.1 Offical (CUPS 1.1.21.0) and am using the CUPS Postscript driver on the server. The server is bound to an NT4 domain for authentication purposes and there are two printers connected to it, an HP Laserjet2300 and an Epson Aculaser C2000.

Point and click works fine for XP clients with both drivers installing with no errors or messages.

The problem is printing from Acrobat 7 which will print the whole doc if you say print all but will only print one page if you say e.g.  print pages between 7 - 10. If you print from Word, IE or any other program it works fine but Acrobat has this quirk. If you tell Acrobat to print to the CUPS printers as an image, it works but the file size being sent across the network is huge.

Checking any of the failed print jobs in the CUPS admin interface shows the failed jobs as "aborted" while the prints from other programs are "completed".

Now I'm guessing that Acrobat is sending a string in the file somewhere that is making CUPS abort the job but I'm beggered if I know where to start. I've been playing with the settings all morning but it makes no difference and have spent a while searching for answers.

Any help very appreciated.

Thanks and all the best,

Jools