[cups.general] CUPS in a strictly dynamic network

T'Krin tkrin at tkrin.net
Mon Mar 21 08:11:04 PST 2005

Hello everyone.

I am wanting to setup a Samba server to replace an aging Windows server,
and I plan on using CUPS.  This network (Windows domain) is actually a
group of computers in an institution where I have no control over the
network.  All IP addresses are dynamic and the institution will not supply
even a small block of static IPs to use for our printers, nor are host
names created for these dynamic IPs.

My question is this:  Can CUPS be setup to some how use DLC printing or
use some other method to find the printers so that I can use Samba?  I
thought about maybe writing a script to ping sweep our subnet and then
query the arp table to match the printer's MAC to an IP and alter the
printers.conf file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

~Dan