Landscape Printing Broken on MacOSX

Hugh Caley hcaley at plasmabat.com
Mon Mar 21 17:46:12 PST 2005

> Thanks for the sample. I guess I have an idea what is going wrong whith
> that PDF file.
> For both pages of the sample file, the PDF contains
>
> /MediaBox [ 0 0 792 612 ]
>
> which is clearly landscape orientation (width is greater than height).
> But the default
> pdftops filter of CUPS gets the page size (i.e. the media size to print
> on) from the
> PPD the printer is configured with - it uses the PPD defined default
> page size (or,
> if that isn't defined, an internally defined common section of A4 and
> Letter).
> Thus the PDF's media size is overwritten by what CUPS thinks to be the
> default
> which presumably is in portrait orientation.

OK, in this case, I am doing no configuration of the printer from the MacOSX client; I am simply printing to a printer the CUPS server is supplying to me.  Since is the Mac is evidently actually sending the correct orientation, it must be the PPD on the cups server that is interfering?  But why doesn't it do that when I send jobs to it from Linux hosts?

> As a workaround, try to add the "-o landscape" option (don't know how
> you add
> printing options from within MacOS X), or explizitely specify the
> correct media
> size.

I don't know how I could do this.  I'm already telling it to print landscape as far as the Mac knows, using the GUI.

> If you can get or compile the pdftops utility from the xpdf 3.0 suite,
> you may
> get the "alternate pdftops filter" from the CUPS' links section and use
> that.
> The proposed configuration file forces the page size to the PDF's media
> box.

Is this going to be a "fix" in an upcoming version of CUPS?  I don't quite understand where the problem is, especially since my Linux clients don't seem to have this problem.

Hugh