cupsaddsmb supports windows nt?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 23 05:45:04 PST 2005

Christoph Litauer wrote:
> thanks for your response. I don't agree with your statement. I can use
> the Adobe Postscript driver for NT, 2000 and XP without problems. But

Actually, the Adobe driver which works with NT is also a kernel mode
driver, which is what we are moving away from.  The current Adobe
driver for Windows 2000 and higher is, in fact, the one that comes
with Windows, and that is the one we support.  You can still use the
cupsaddsmb program from 1.1.20 and earlier to export the Adobe NT
drivers, but you can't export both the NT and 2000 drivers on the
same Samba server.

> cupsaddsmb doesn't support installing the adobe drivers any more. So I
> have to write my own cupsaddsmb script - its not difficult at all, but I
> would prefer an option to cupsaddsmb that lets the user decide which
> drivers should be installed.

Given that the old drivers are buggy, generally unsafe to use on
newer systems, and you can't export both NT and 2000 drivers on the
same server (only an NT driver which happens to work on later
versions of Windows), we have no plans or desire to implement such
a feature.

You can probably combine the 1.1.20 and 1.1.21 versions of cupsaddsmb
to get "the best of both worlds" for your configuration.