cupsaddsmb supports windows nt?

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Mar 23 07:22:44 PST 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Christoph Litauer wrote:
>> thanks for your response. I don't agree with your statement. I can use
>> the Adobe Postscript driver for NT, 2000 and XP without problems. But
>
> Actually, the Adobe driver which works with NT is also a kernel mode
> driver, which is what we are moving away from.  The current Adobe
> driver for Windows 2000 and higher is, in fact, the one that comes
> with Windows, and that is the one we support.  You can still use the
> cupsaddsmb program from 1.1.20 and earlier to export the Adobe NT
> drivers, but you can't export both the NT and 2000 drivers on the
> same Samba server.
>
>> cupsaddsmb doesn't support installing the adobe drivers any more. So I
>> have to write my own cupsaddsmb script - its not difficult at all, but
>> I would prefer an option to cupsaddsmb that lets the user decide which
>> drivers should be installed.
>
> Given that the old drivers are buggy, generally unsafe to use on
> newer systems, and you can't export both NT and 2000 drivers on the
> same server (only an NT driver which happens to work on later
> versions of Windows), we have no plans or desire to implement such
> a feature.
>
> You can probably combine the 1.1.20 and 1.1.21 versions of cupsaddsmb
> to get "the best of both worlds" for your configuration.

Very informational, thank you Michael. Especially the difference between
kernel and user mode drivers -- I've never heard of.

Well, so it would be wise to use the 2000 drivers and tell my NT users
they should upgrade. But there is another issue -- perhaps you can help
once more?
The adobe drivers as well as the "old" cups windows drivers (cups.dll
etc.) supported a "Number up"-option -- independent from any definitions
in the printers ppd file. I can't find this option using the new 2k
drivers except for printers that define a HPNup feature in its ppd file.
Some ppd's define a HPNup feature, some do not. My students often want
to use nup printing on all kinds of printers.
So whats up with the "old" cups drivers: Should I use them? Is there
another way (except for copying the HPNup section in every ppd file) to
offer nup printing?

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Fingerprint: F39C E314 2650 650D 8092 9514 3A56 FBD8 79E3 27B2