Odd error status with a Minolta copier/printer (resolved)

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Thu Mar 24 09:24:35 PST 2005

David Landgren wrote:
> [...]
>
>> And there the printer goes into stopped mode in CUPS. Does anyone have
>> any experience with these types of printers? I don't see what the
>> difference is between the commandline and the cups backend and I
>> assume the DeviceURI is incorrect. I tried:
>>
>>     DeviceURI lpd://impmtp03
>

> Oh duh. I of course meant to write 'lpd://impmtp03/1 as well'
>
>> but at this stage I'm just guessing.

Fixed. Replying to myself yet again, but with a bit of luck this will be
caught in the archives and might help some other poor soul.

The moral of the story is to not even try to bother with CUPS. It turns
out that there's some utility software to install on each client post
(joy!) called CrownPort+ which does all the spooling and communicating
and printer contention management. So you don't even install the printer
on a printer server, you just connect using a local port on the machine,
and choose CrownPort+ (somewhere down the list after LPT1 et al.).

Hope this helps someone else one day.

David