Why CUPS adds "Auto" option in "InputTray"

yliu0131 at brockport.edu yliu0131 at brockport.edu
Fri Mar 25 11:20:26 PST 2005

Michael,

Thans for the clarification.

I checked the PPD file in /etc/cups/ppd, On PS PPD files, Auto is set as DefaultInputSlot, but Auto is not an option in the list.

I guess different front end have different interpretations.
For CUPS web gui, it didn't insert any ps command.
For foomatic-rip, it uses the first option in the list (checked with foomatic-ppd). (I didn't not check the source code for foomatic-rip). Older kprinter versions shows "Auto" option while newer ones (3.2.3) does not show the "Auto" option. (I didn't check the source code for kprinter)

Is it possible to add an empty "Auto" option? So front ends won't be confused.
*InputSlot Auto: ""

Thanks
Yue