[cups.general] Test page prints OK, applications don't

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 06:26:23 PST 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 06:51, Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren wrote:
>I have installed CUPS as part of the Debian Sarge system I use.  The
> test page prints OK, and various applications (OpenOffice, Firefox)
> use the printer I have set up as the default printer.
>
>But they won't print!
>
>lpq says
>
>roffe at claude:~$ lpq
>Printer: lp at localhost 'Generic dot-matrix printer entry'
> Queue: no printable jobs in queue
> Filter_status: lp is ready and printing
>
>whereas what I in fact use is a USB printer from HP.
>
>Any and all suggestions are welcome!

It rather sounds as if you have not configured the printer for the
user to use.  Were you root when you ran the rest page, but a normal
user for the other stuff?

I find that when a new version is installed, I always have to fire up
the browser, point it at localhost:631, and reconfigure my printers
each time.  The fact that lpq didn't find even your default printer
says that somehow a default has never been set.  Running as root,
here are my lpq query responses:

[root at coyote /]# lpq
lp2 is ready
no entries
[root at coyote /]# lpq -Plp0
lp0 is ready
no entries
[root at coyote /]# lpq -Plp1
lp1 is ready
no entries
[root at coyote /]# lpq -Plp3
lp3 is ready
no entries

They are all the same printer, running in different modes, but could
just as easily be 4 seperate printers on 4 different usblp ports.
Properly setup, cups simply doesn't care what or where they are.

Also, do you have the module 'usblp' either built into the kernel, or
loaded on the machine the printer is attached to?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)