[cups.general] How do you handle 320,000 printjobs?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Mar 31 09:35:24 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:20:03PM -0500, angelb at bugarin.us wrote:
> We have a SAP production node which produces up to 320,000 print jobs a month? Will one CUPS server be able to handle the load? If not, say I have two CUPS server running in parallel, will both servers be enough to handle that load?
>
> Both servers are running CUPS 1.1.23, RHEL ES 3.
> Primary server:
>   Xeon 2.7Ghz 8-processor
>   4Gb RAM
>
> Secondary server:
>   Xeon 2.8Ghz 4-processor
>   1.5Gb RAM
>
> There will be a total of 2300 printer queues created but one client
> will be generating at least 320,000 print jobs.

Simple math, if printing is a 24x7 thing for you :

  one month = 86400 seconds * 31 days = 2678400 seconds

320000 jobs in 2678400 seconds is 1 job every 8.37 seconds received
by the print server, although considering there are 2300 printers,
each printer only prints one job every 19 minutes (if all printers
handle the same number of print jobs)

Now if you had an idea of each job's size and average processing
time, you could see if one job fits in 8.37 seconds and with your
available bandwidth. Depending on where the rendering is done,
if any, may also help. This may depend on the printer models and/or
drivers used.

Hoping I didn't wrote anything very stupid above...

hth

Jerome Alet