Connecting to ptr on XP box

Brian Ronk bronk at bookmasters.com
Thu Mar 31 12:58:08 PST 2005

I have a system that has CUPS on it, and the only part I can get to is
the web interface.  That's not the problem, but just to let you know
what I can see.  I might be able to see logs, but I'm not positive.
I have a Brother 1240 connected to a new XP Pro box that I need to
connect to in CUPS.  I have three buildings that I work with, and this
problem covers 2 of them.  The server is in one building, and the XP box
and printer in another.  They all have different IP address schemes (one
is 10.10.10.x, and the other 99.0.0.x).  The XP box is new, and
previously I had the printer hooked up to a 95 box, with the printer
shared.  I couldn't connect directly to it through CUPS at that point,
so I did a double share from a 2000 server (in the same building as the
CUPS server) and connected that way.  It worked fairly well.  Now I'm
trying to do the same with the XP box.  I tried to connect via the 2000
server again, but had issues in general.  It seems that XP doesn't like
to double share or something.  Now I'm trying to connect directly to it,
but noting seems to work.  I've tried all possibilities that I know how
to work, but nothing is working.  This is the error I get most often:
"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...: Success"
I checked permissions, and the printer is set so that Everyone has print
access.  I'm not sure what else to check.  I'm thinking it might have
something to do with being on different ip schemes, or XP not likeing to
double share maybe.  Any ideas?