[cups.development] Importing LPRng printsers

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Mar 14 04:46:51 PST 2005

regatta wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are using LPRng in Linux/SUN/AIX and sgi and we plan to move our
> server to Linux and to use CUPS but we didn't find any tool to auto
> import our printers (/etc/printcap) to the CUPS format because we have
> move than 200 printers and platters and we don't plan to add them
> manually
>
> Any Idea ?

I'd hack a script that interpretes your /etc/printcap and generates an
appropriate /etc/cups/printers.conf file from that.

But as LPRng and CUPS are designed completely differently, this is not a
trivial task; so you would have to estimate if manually configuring your
200 printers isn't cheaper than hacking a script. Keep in mind that (at
least
I presume so) many of your printers are the same or similar make and
model so
that you easily may duplicate entries in printers.conf and just modify
the URI.
And note that LPRng does not care about PPDs, but configuring the
printer's
default settings using the respective PPDs is one of the most
significant advantages
of CUPS over other spooling systems.

Helge

--