[cups.development] adding snmp hooks

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Mar 22 14:06:23 PST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 04:50:21PM -0500, 1010 wrote:

> Where should I dig to add simple snmp hooks with net-snmp ?
> (hooks for network bandwidth utilisation, number of page printed,
> two or three status infos (toner low, paper jam, empty tray)

You could do this without modifying CUPS at all, by writing
a CUPS backend wrapper which does its job (all the SNMP queries)
then launches the real CUPS backend which in turn really prints
the job.

There are several software which do just this and it works fine :

  - accsnmp : http://fritz.postdam.edu/projects/cupsapps/accsnmp
  - PyKota : http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation
  - "Comptage" : http://nayco.free.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=comptage

Since a few days ago a generic and plug&play backend wrapper is
available, named Tea4CUPS (Tee for CUPS) which deals with the hard
part :

        - automate wrapping of all existing backends.
        - transmit the datas to the real (wrapped) backend when
          printing, after launching it (which requires a "special"
          routine since argv[0] is different from what is usual)

In addition, this software allows you to plug your own scripts (in
any language) at "strategic" points.

Please give a look at :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

This software is GPLed, and can now be downloaded either for free using
Subversion, or through yearly subscriptions to Official packages
for a small 20 Euros (or US$ if you want) fee.

hth

Jerome Alet