Problem with 'pdftops' filter

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon May 2 05:03:09 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> > Helge:
> >
> > Thanks for the sample files. All print OK, i.e. without any shift on a
> > native PostScript printer (I'm using CUPS 1.1.19).
> > The config-file options for the alternate pdftops filter I'm using
> > are:
> > ---snip---
> > psPaperSize match
> > psCrop yes
> > psExpandSmaller no
> > psShrinkLarger yes
> > psCenter yes
> >
> > psLevel level2
> >
> > psEmbedType1Fonts yes
> > psEmbedTrueTypeFonts yes
> > psEmbedCIDTrueTypeFonts yes
> > psEmbedCIDPostScriptFonts yes
> >
> > psOPI no
> > psASCIIHex no
> > ---snip---
>
> I tried with your config file...  and it didn't work...
>
> > I suppose the "psPaperSize match" is the essential, as the built-in
> > default for the pdftops utility is Letter, I think. That would explain
> > the shift. If you only print to A4, you could change the "match" to
> > "A4".
>
> I already had A4 set.
>
> > If you still encounter difficulties, post how your printer is
> > configured and post (an URL to) the printer's PPD, please.
>
> ----- /etc/cups/pdftops.conf -----
> psLevel                     level3
> psPaperSize                 A4
> psCrop                      yes
> psExpandSmaller             no
> psShrinkLarger              no
> psCenter                    no
> psEmbedType1Fonts           yes
> psEmbedTrueTypeFonts        yes
> psEmbedCIDTrueTypeFonts     yes
> psEmbedCIDPostScriptFonts   yes
> ----------------------------------
>
> PPD: http://a14574.free.fr/cups/HL-5150D.ppd

Now I'm getting short if ideas ...

If your CUPS insatallation really uses the alternate pdftops filter:

1) is it a Perl script?

2) if yes, does the line 67 (at least in my original script) read like
	$pdftops_path = "/usr/local/bin/pdftops";       # path to the xpdf
utility
   (the path may be different on your box)?

3) if yes, if your execute that utility without parameters, what does it
tell?

and,
4) is there a line reading
	$cmdopt = "-cfg " . $ENV{CUPS_SERVERROOT} . "/pdftops.conf"; # This
cannot be changed
   (in my scripr it is line # 107)?

Helge

--