[cups.general] new backend

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue May 3 07:44:51 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:36:44AM -0400, dick.kniep at lindix.nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We are a company that provides ASP solutions. We use Linux as our
> platform and GoGlobal as our tool to distribute the screens.
>
> Because we don't know what kind of printer is on the receiving end
> (mostly Windows, cheap winprinters, certainly no postscript), we
> decided that it would be easiest to send a PDF over the line, and
> print it locally on the windows machine with gsprint. That way we
> simply distribute gsprint, have it installed, send the file to the
> windows machine, invoke (automatically) gsprint and everything is
> fine.
>
> Now I would like to define a backend for cups that takes care of all this.
>
> Has anyone on this list any experience in defining a backend? I am
> an experienced Python developer, so I would prefer to write the
> backend in Python. It would be a very simple backend, because it
> would simply call ghostscript to generate PDF, and next copy the PDF
> to the Windows machine. I would donate this to the community when it
> is ready.

http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

Tea4CUPS is a generic CUPS backend wrapper written 100% in Python and
distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License of
the Free Software Foundation

You can probably use it as-is to do what you want, although any
comment or patch is welcome.

hth

Jerome Alet