[cups.general] Hide some printers for some PCs

John Morton jwm at cranenz.co.nz
Tue May 3 17:48:58 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 00:04, Burps wrote:
> Hi
>
> I Have a server CUPS (A) which centralizes every printer on
> the network,  and to which each workstation refers to send
> a print job.
>
> I habe a CUPS server on B, for a single USB printer : This
> printer should be reserved to the user on B.
>
> This works very fine for the B user, since he can see every
> printer, + B
>
> BUT the other users can also see the B printer, and send it
> print jobs, waht I wouldn't like...
>
> I tried to modify several settings in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf,
> but nothing seemed to work :
>
> - BrowseAddress localhost
>
> - BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1
> BrowsDeny All
>
> - <Location />
> Deny from All
> Alllow from 127.0.0.1
> </Location>

To prevent the the browse information from leaving server B by
broadcast, just drop the BrowseAddress directive entirely. I'd also set:

BrowseOrder Deny, Allow
BrowseAllow from localhost

This should prevent server A from pulling browse data from server B
directly.

The location directive ought to prevent people from sending jobs to the
printer, assuming the config file version is typo free :-)

John