[cups.general] Controlling font and print quality for dot-matrix

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon May 9 23:59:07 PDT 2005

Hello,

On May 9 14:27 Tim Boring wrote (shortened):
> We're using CUPS on a new Linux (SuSE Linux Enterprise Server
> v9) box

In this case you should have a support contract with Suse.

> ... report printers (dot-matrix Oki's, 395 and 3410)
> lpadmin -p <printer-name> -v ipp://hostname/ipp/ -E
> -P /usr/share/cups/model/Epson/Dot_Matrix-epsonc.ppd.gz

Therefore you get raster graphics data produced by Ghostscript's
"epsonc" device, see /usr/share/cups/model/Epson/Dot_Matrix-epsonc.ppd.gz
*FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "gs ... -sDEVICE=epsonc...
and as a result:
> a) ... The characters are "fuzzy"
> b) the speed of the print job is slow.

Do you really need raster graphics data printout on the dot-matrix
"report printers"?

If plain ASCII text is sufficient, have a look at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de